In which I detail my adventures in writing and publishing

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

File management

When I made my first attempt to write a novel keeping track of the manuscript was easy. I had a single file on computer where I did all my writing. As long as I saved my work at the end of each session I had no problems.

At first I did all my writing at home. I had a computer at work but lacked the time to write there. Eventually I wanted to be able to write during the down times but couldn't because my PC didn't have Microsoft Word and I didn't want to pay for a copy. I started using one of my blogs as a writing platform. All went well until I tried copying and pasting from the blog onto my home PC. In a few words: major formatting issues. Not that I couldn't overcome them, but it took time. Lots of it.

I started bringing my laptop to work. I had plenty of desk space and, as it happened, more time to write. That was fallout from the economic recession.

Change happened at work and our computers got upgraded. Now I had Word on my work PC and I could write fiction when time permitted. New problem: how to collect everything into a unified file. By now I had joined a critique group and it seemed I was always making new files of chapters to send to the group. Unwittingly I found I had created a monster. I had multiple files of the same material--well nearly the same. If I made changes in a chapter and didn't update the files the same way I had no way of telling what was the best.

Solution: more time spent perusing the myriad files and culling the bad from the good. Now I have one master file containing my WIP as presently revised. Everytime I add to it I make a copy, email myself so I can update the workplace copy and vice versa. So far it seems to be working. For the next book, things are going to be different from the get go.

No comments:

Post a Comment